Tuesday 16 April 2013

Fabric Farm





We have been busy making a large scarecrow for our new outdoor play area and he is finally finished and on display at the local garden show. Meanwhile back in the classroom we have been singing songs about scarecrows, reading stories and drawing pictures of different scarecrows.

On the wonder table I set up an abstract farm setting with the paddocks being different square patches of printed fabric. Like an aerial photo of different crops. I cut olive branches (that we pruned on the weekend at home) into lengths that could be used as fences. I added some animals, some of my hand painted pebbles and of course a scarecrow made from recycled paper. 

I sell a variety of hand painted pebbles on Etsy

Painted Pebbles (Set No. 1) 

The pebbles can be used as a display on their own or for the children to hold and discuss. They can be used to prompt story telling or to compliment a play scene like I have done with our farm. They can be used anywhere but I have put them in the water trolley and block area. They allow the children to use their imagination as they do not have a specific function or purpose. They are an open ended resource.

We are all trying to use natural resources to teach our children to respect and appreciate the world around us and enjoy the beauty in nature.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea, really different to anything I've seen. Will have to try that out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea. My daughters would love this! Thanks for sharing with us on Artsy Play Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great (and beautiful!) toy.

    Thank you for linking up to Waldorf Wednesday. I hope to see you back this week!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-31/

    ReplyDelete